Sunday, November 4, 2012

Success with Shots

I have been taking a shot, once a week, full of a Synthetic Hormone - Progesterone. I was skeptical and never wanted to take it because it is completely synthetic, but after being sent to the hospital to stop my contractions when I was only 20 weeks (exactly half way through the pregnancy and far too early to be contracting) Nik and I decided it was what we needed to do to keep this baby baking inside as long as possible.

Let me tell you...these shots are amazing! Before I started taking them, I was not able to go grocery shopping without the scooter or even clean my house. I was not able to get off the couch or walk down the hallway without having contractions. Life was pretty boring and difficult and scary...but now that I have been on them for a month, my life has been AMAZING! I can do all those things without issues. Last week I walked a mile without any issues, other than minor hip pain. Yesterday I went grocery shopping with Nik, for over an hour, and didn't have one single contraction. I am so glad I am taking them! Yes, the one bad side effect I have had, so far, is the injection site becomes very itchy...but that is totally worth the confidence and calmness I feel. Let's all hope and pray this baby stays in full term so I don't have to leave her in the NICU like I did with Tatum.

I wish I would have known about this with Tatum, but I had no idea what contractions felt like until my water broke and I was in labor at the hospital...I just chalked it all up to pregnancy discomfort. I hope no other pregnant woman has to go through the trouble. The shot is saving my sanity and probably even my unborn child's life. I will definitely be getting the shots with future pregnancies...no doubt.

Before I started the shot, I had asked on Facebook if anyone had gotten them or heard of someone who got them. There were a few that knew someone or did it personally...but the one friend that really made it clear was Catharine. She said "It is too scary to not take them." I realized she was right. Yes, the hormone in the shot is synthetic, and I am not the biggest fan of that, but am I willing to lose my baby or have to deal with the NICU again? No, I don't want to do that! I want a nice, healthy, full term baby girl in February....and I want to not have to get there on bed rest. Apparently my body needs a little more Progesterone and I am so thankful for modern medicine that allows me to get what I need.

Baby Girl Berry...I can't wait to meet you!
And I will try to lay off the Caffeine.
You were acting a bit crazy last night from the soda.
I love you!
Love,
Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment