Thursday, March 11, 2010

Letters to Eternity

Letters to Eternity - This is what Nik titled my Christmas/Valentine's Day gift...and no I am not posting this SUPER late, he really did just give it to me tonight.
The thing is...Nik is very very thoughtful and a natural romantic.
It takes him time to think up a gift to give and lots of time to make it....so that is why it is late.
I'm just so happy I have it now.
We have been together for 4.5 years now and every time we exchange gifts for the many different holidays, his is ALWAYS BETTER! I told him tonight that we are not allowed to exchange gifts anymore because my gifts are never as cool/thoughtful/original as his are.
So let me now move on to what he gave me...but I have to explain a little.
Nik went on his mission to Tokyo, Japan from April 2007-April 2009.
All that time we wrote back and forth.
Even the 15 months prior to him leaving on his mission we wrote letters back and forth.
I have kept every single letter.
The originals are in 4 3-inch binders in sheet protectors. That is 1 whole foot of letters!
Well, Nik being the awesome husband he is, decided to make a book with those.
He would sneak out to the local Geneology center and scan every single last letter.
He then had them bound in a book.
Actually in 2 books.
1 book from January 2006-March 2007.
1 book from April 2007-April 2009.
Let me show them to you now.


When I opened this gift, I could feel all his love and effort put into this project.
This definitely came from the heart.
I can't even BEGIN to describe how much this means to me!
These are going to stay around for years and years and hopefully through generations.
This is a great story of our lives together before marriage.
We keep writing letters to each other.
I have a little mailbox I made back in YW's and it sits on our bookshelf.
When we write a letter we stick it in there and then the other person sees it and takes it out to read it and reply to it.
I hope that in future years we can do this same thing and make another book.
This made me smile.
Isn't he an awesome gift giver?
But how is he ever going to top this one?? For reals!

3 comments:

  1. That is amazing, Dawna! Your kids, grandkids, great grandkids, (etc) will LOVE reading those and will be able to learn A LOT about love, obedience, and patience from you and Nik.

    Ahh so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lately I've been getting into geneology and I've been bitten by the geneology bug because now I'm totally addicted!
    What a great gift! Nik, I'm so impressed! Seriously.
    I love finding a letter written by someone 4 or 5 generations back.
    What a family treasure you guys have created with these letters.
    I'm sure they will be loved for many, many, even hundreds of years by your posterity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nik, you only have the smallest hint of how much she REALLY loves this gift!! Oh my HEAVENS, Son!! You are DEFINITELY one of the most thoughtful and hard-working people I've ever KNOWN!! And I echo the words of those who have already commented: what a wonderful idea! ;>

    ReplyDelete