Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Hinting

So I was at work yesterday with these new clients. We are writing some new business and enjoying each others company. They had just celebrated 50 years together and were telling me about their lives and how much they treasure their four children, who have now given them grandchildren and greatgrandchildren.

The husband said that those years of raising their children were the best years of their lives. I don't hear this very much from parents nowadays. I have been hearing a lot of "these were the mistakes we wish we could take back" or "hold off as long as you can until you get some common sense not to" or "boy, did we wish this never happened."
Yes, times are rough,
 things are going to be hard,
 and life will forever be unknown....
but THAT'S LIFE!
(Nik is much better at this than I am.)
You are still alive
and you are still alive, right?
But didn't things happen that changed everything?
I guess one way to make yourself miserable
is to make everyone else happy.
(ok, enough ventation, Dawna)

These all make me sad even though sometimes it might look as if they were just joking, I don't know that.
I don't know if you are joking or serious. I hear this stuff more than the happy stuff.

I will say that a friend posted on FB "I love when my little girl falls asleep in my arms. Motherhood is the greatest gift of all." This made me SO happy!
Motherhood IS a blessing, a hard never-ending job, but a joy as well. I am excited for this...to take on this new role.
And Nik can't wait to be a father. Whether it's a boy to throw a ball with or a girl to treat her like a princess (although he says she is going to be one cute tomboy. lol).

Well, back to the old man. As he was talking about his children he said
"So I take it you have kids, (paused), or you will be soon?" (as he pointed towards my stomach.)
I was thrown back.
WHAT did you just say?!?!
I was trying to suck in as much as I could but I guess sitting down really emphasizes everything.
Luckily I could tell him that "Yes, we are expecting our first."
But still, he was LUCKY!
It could very well have just been some weight for the winter.
But oh well, guess this cat has to come out of its bag sooner or later.
When I stand you can't really tell, and I have been trying to wear shirts that flow, but let's just be realistic - Nik and I really can't keep this secret in much longer.
Okay, maybe just me....but I'm sure he's dying to say something too.

So, with Thanksgiving right here....it is perfect because we wanted to say something at this holiday of Thankfulness (a word? it is now) and everything seems to be going well. I will be 10 weeks....and we think this is good enough, especially since all our family will be here at one gathering, it couldn't be better.
(except for Caren and Gma and Gpa Allred....we'll just have to Skype them)

OH....And I'm always exhausted! I went to bed at 8:30 last night and slept til 5:30.
I hear I better catch up on these hours for they quickly dwindle when Lil Berry arrives.

2 comments:

  1. Nik is going to be a GREAT father! Little Berry is going to be one LOVED little baby! I love watching him with your sisters, especially at the photo shoot with Andrea! And him with the DOG???? HILARIOUS!!!!

    And you, my Dear! You will make one sweet and terrific mother!!! Love you both! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with the whole negativity that is always expressed about having children. When Jon and I got married all of my siblings with kids told us to wait as long as possible and just enjoy our life. They think its harmless advice but really it scares people.Its nice to hear every now and then that kids are wonderful and being a mother is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete