Wednesday, April 6, 2011

All Dogs Go To Heaven

This post is dedicated to my sister, Caren, my family, and all those whose lives were blessed by this precious little dog.

Kitah: All smiles, all love, and random Happy Piddles.

Her story:
Caren and I were out at Target one night and as we walked from our car to the store we saw a family trying to sell their Rottweilers out of the back of their truck. They were puppies at the time and so cute but we had to decline because they grow up too big and too rough for our liking. We told that to the wife, said our "good lucks" and walked on into Target. As we were coming out of Target the wife approached us again. She said she had a little dog that they just couldn't take care of and they felt the dog needed a better home. She showed us the little female Pomeranian in the back seat and she was as cute as a button! The price they wanted was extremely fair and Caren took her up on the offer.
It was just about 2 years ago last month that she joined our family. Kitah was so pretty and wonderful and sweet. Here are some memories we have of her and that we want to keep in our hearts forever.

Dad, Mom, Baylee, Caren, KITAH, Hannah, Me, and Nik.
One big happy Family!

Every time my mom would go out to get the mail, she would jingle her keys and Kitah would come dashing out of where ever she was to go with her. Kitah had this big grin on her face and would hop down the driveway in excitement. She would walk with my mom to the mailbox and then back home. She knew the routine. Kitah loved getting the mail everyday.

Sometimes if we weren't careful in where we would get her excited (showing her the leash to let her know it is walking time or to tell her it's time to go for a ride), she would piddle right where she was. Happy Piddles? Guess so.

I loved going for walks with her. She was such a happy dog. The moment I would pull out the leash she would do theses little loop-de-loops and flips all over the place. She would get too excited to just sit there and let you hook up the leash. And again, like my previous memory stated, if I wasn't careful where I was when I put the leash on, she would leave Happy Piddles. Going for walks just isn't the same anymore. I miss my walking buddy.

One time she was so excited to go for a walk she did about 20 little loop-de-loops around the kitchen floor. Once I was finally able to get her collar on, she hopped down the driveway and across the street like a little bunny rabbit. She would hop until the leash wouldn't extend any farther. She was so happy!

This one might make me look bad but I have to share it. One day when we were walking she had to go poo. She found these dark rocks and started to get in position. In my head I said "yes, Kitah, right there! Go there." See, I can't bend over too easily and the last thing I wanted to do was bend over and pick up poo...even if it was just a few small droplets. Well....just after she gets into position...she scoots forward, while in position, another 2 feet...onto the sidewalk right in front of the mailbox! agh! Kitah...you were suppose to stay in the rocks. haha. I had a good laugh, especially because she looked so silly scooting around. And just so you know...I did bend over to pick up the poo with my handy dandy baggie!

Just recently Nik and I were home alone and it had been a little while since we had seen Kitah. We looked and looked for her. We even called her name and it took a minute or two and then she finally came out of her hiding spot. I took her outside so she could go do her business and then when we came back inside I left her alone, but with my eye on her, so I could find out where she was hiding. She had found a spot under my parents bed. When I was looking for her I asked Nik for his help because my big belly won't let me bend over too far. He got down on the floor and captured a picture of her little secret hideout. After taking the picture she started to get up and so Nik said "No, Kitah. Stay." But I guess the No was bad enough and she thought she was in trouble. So she got up and came into the living room with us. Silly dog.

Her hiding spot.

This all made sense now as I remember times when she would walk back to my parent's bedroom door and sit there. It was just her and I at home but she would sit at the closed door and sometimes whimper. I didn't realize she wanted in for her secret spot so I would just call her back to the couch and she would hang out with me a little longer.

Nik and Kitah had a love/hate relationship. It was funny because she would sit next to him on the couch and love on him and he would scratch her head but then sometimes she would hate him. Every day when Nik would come home from work, Kitah would hear the car pull up and start barking. We would then open the front door and tell her to "get him!" She would jump out of the house onto the porch, take 2 leaping steps towards him, realize it was The Nik, and run back inside as fast and as quiet as she could. Why she didn't like him, we don't know. It was definitely a love/hate relationship.

Kitah was very good at letting us know whenever someone was at our door. Or rather I should say someone or something. Even if the cat was there or a leaf blowing by that made lots of noise, she would let us know.

Sometimes she would sit at our back sliding door and see a cat go through our backyard. She would get so furious and bark her little head off so much that she would get some air. It was quite comical.

At dinner time she would be allowed to stay out of her kennel until she did the no-no. She would watch us eat and pray for droppings. Sometimes she could smell what we were eating and all the deliciousness and she would not be able to contain herself. She would proceed to pounce up on our leg, which was a big no-no. But it sure was cute. She just wanted a bit of the yummies.

Kitah was the head chef of our kitchen. There was her little spot she sat in at the corner of the fridge and wall as we cooked. She would be able to see all areas of the kitchen in that spot and would monitor our cooking. She would stare up at us and at any little movement or sound she would look straight down on the floor to make sure nothing dropped. I guess it would be better to call her our Little Janitor. She would clean up anything we spilled.

One of my favorite little quirks she had was her sitting habits on the couch. If someone was on the couch she would join them...BUT...she would ONLY sit on the right side of you and would scoot her little bum into the area between your right leg and the couch cushion. Then she would sit there with a big smile on her face. If we would pet her and stop, she would turn around and smile at you and raise her head so you knew what she was getting at. She would love all the attention she could get.
Like just the other day she was at our Grandparent's house with us and I was sitting on one part of the couch, my right side blocked, and my Grandpa was sitting on the opposite side of the couch with his right side available. She jumped up on the couch and I started scratching her head. She loved it but kept inching towards Grandpa. Grandpa wasn't doing anything special, he was just watching tv. I was the one giving her attention but as soon as she got too far out of my reach and I couldn't scratch her anymore she headed straight for the space between Grandpa's right leg and the couch cushion. She sat there as content as she could be, just smiling away at me. Such the character.

Kitah loved going for rides in the car. One day just a week or so ago I wanted to go grab some lunch. It was just me and Kitah at home so I decided to take her with me. I made one big mistake though. I asked her if she wanted to go for a ride. She got so excited and ran outside. There on the front porch she did some little stretches as she had just woken up from her nap. I told her to go potty before getting in the car, she knows what that means, but she just kept stretching. When she stopped stretching again I would tell her to go potty, but she would begin to stretch some more and give me that little look of "don't I look so pretty...now let's go!" After a few minutes of trying I just gave up and let her get in the car, but I told her that if she pee'd in the car, she was in big trouble! hahaha. What was I thinking? Like she could understand that!? The whole ride she had her nose out the window and was soaking up the sun and all the smells she came across. I was afraid she would get too excited and piddle right there on the seat. Luckily, she didn't! We got home and she went to the bathroom right away.

 This was her just after being picked up from the Groomer.
She is out of focus because she wanted to get that pink bow out of her hair
And wouldn't sit still for two seconds.

She had the cutest little strut when she walked. Her tail would be up on her back and she would shake them hips of hers! Because of her gorgeous coat it was almost like she was walking in a pretty dress with a huge petticoat underneath. And she would make the cutest little pitter patter across the wood floor like she had heels on or something. Such a female!

When she was in heat and we would take her on walks, my mom would say she was "leaving her number on the bathroom stalls." I cannot tell you how many times we had to stop so she could sniff around and leave a note. It was so funny!

We love you, Kitah. Although it was difficult to bear I am glad I was able to hold you and try to comfort you as you left for Heaven. You are in a safe spot now. We will see you soon! You will always be a smile in our hearts.
Oh and although this might seem odd...us Allred's very into numbers. Kitah passed away at 12:12pm on 4/4/11.
Way to go out with a sense of humor! (keeps me smiling and all the tears back when I think of it that way.)

May you rest in peace, Kitah.
Your love and smiles and even Happy Piddles
Will be missed in this family.
Have fun up there in Heaven!








2 comments:

  1. Thank you Dawna for a sweet tribute to Kitah. Thank you Caren for bringing a joy into our home. We will miss you, Kitah, and you will always have a spot in our hearts. When we get another little dog in our home, if they are half as good as you were they will be great, you were the best, giving love to those not feeling well and just being there made my heart feel with joy. Love ya Kitah.

    with love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to EVERYTHING Dad commented on! Dawna, what a fine tribute to this sweet little friend of ours. Caren, even though we protested in the beginning, thank you! You saw the wisdom in strengthening our family through this sweet little dog!!!

    Kitah, you've set the standard pretty darn HIGH!! Your sweet personality, your barky-ness, and your spirit will be forever missed! And if any other dog comes CLOSE to what you were, we will consider ourselves blessed, again!

    ReplyDelete