Monday, April 25, 2011

My First Quilt. Her First Quilt.

Yep!
I did it!
I used a sewing machine for the first time
And made a quilt for my Little Jewel.

The only down side to having this quilt for her...
....I wanna wrap her up in it
RIGHT NOW!
I hold it so tight picturing her in the middle.
Agh!
I love it
I love her
I love life!

I took this class at Scrapbooks, Etc.
Love that place!
They have fabric and scrapbook supplies.
It is awesome!

The class was Friday night.
Started at 5pm and lasted until 11:30pm.
Let me tell ya....that went FAST!

When I got to class the instructor explained how to make the quilt.
The first step was to make the X's in the squares to bind all 3 layers
And then to sew the squares into rows and the rows into a blanket.

Well, I am a bit OCD about some things.
Especially permanent things I make.
So I spent the first HOUR drawing X's with a straight edge ruler
Onto the top layer so everything would be perfect.
Little did I know....
....it is much harder for an inexperienced sewer to sew straight lines.
haha.
So that HOUR was wasted.
No straight lines
Whatsoever
But I love it!

I spent an hour or two cutting the fabric
Then from 5-11:30pm sewing.
Went home and showed Nik the unfinished quilt.
I still had some energy and was on a roll...
so I pulled out my machine again and sewed from Midnight to 1am.
After that, Nik and I went to bed.
The next morning I spent 3+hours cutting the edges to make it raggedy.
Washed it a few times...
....and this is what I got!
(and you can't forget the 2+hours I spent trying to pick out the fabric
while my Grandma Allred was ever-so patient with me.
Just a LITTLE indecisive sometimes.)

Look Ma, I can sew!!!

My Little Jewel's first quilt!

I LOVE IT!!!

Front

Back

And then here are some pictures of me the same day.
Haven't had any belly pictures in a while
So I figured it was time.

 31 weeks 3 days.

 Dear Baby Berry,
I hope you love the quilt I made for you.
You dad and I love it.
It was made with you in mind
And I can't wait to wrap you up inside it.
Or to take you to the park and let you play on it.
You are getting so big and time left is getting so small.
I love how you kick and move so much more every day
Even when it hurts me.
You get the hiccups at least once a day
And last night your Gma and Gpa Berry got to feel them
And so did your Auntie Amy.
I know you might not have liked the hiccups all that much
Because sometimes they do hurt
But it was fun to feel each little one.
And it is fun to feel you wrestle around trying to get rid of them.
Your dad gets hiccups bad too,
So you aren't alone in that aspect.
I just want you to know that
I love knowing that you are my little girl and I am your mommy!
That your daddy is so excited to make you laugh
With raspberries on YOUR stomach.
Oh, and can't forget about next Easter.
Gma Berry is excited to have another little one decorating eggs.
Your Uncle Sam and your daddy are good at it.
They can show you are the cool tricks.
And the Easter egg hunt at Nanu's is a BIG DEAL...
....you we will need to get you some good running shoes!
We need to be the first to find the Purple Polka Dotted egg, k?
Then we win!
Just giving you a heads-up on the awesome family you have!
Everyone is so excited to meet you in 8ish short weeks!

Love,
Mom






3 comments:

  1. isn't sewing addictive. I love it! Im so excited for you and your little girl. Did you decide her name is jewel or are you just calling her that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it might be confusing...we haven't named her yet and so I just call her names like jewel because I am not sure how I feel about calling her princess all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHH! I love that! I need someone to teach me how to sew!!

    ReplyDelete